Friday, January 18, 2008

Turkish Red Lentil Soup

easy to make, cheap and freezes well,
increase your energy, good sauce of iron.
You can use yellow split peas instead
Ingredients
1 lb. red lentils
1 onion (chopped)
1 carrot (sliced)
1 potato (peeled and cubed)
1 tbsp tomato puree
6 cups water,
1 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoon butter
salt, black pepper and paprika

Pick over and wash lentils. Put the lentils, onion, potato and carrot in a large thick-bottomed
pan(or a pressure cooker) and add water. Cook until they are all tender.
Liquidize in a blender. Put the mixture back in the pan. Add salt, black pepper.
In a saucepan put the butter and melted. Add flour and stir with a wood spoon 2-3 minutes than
add this mixture and tomato puree to the soup.
Cook 10-15 minutes more.
Sprinkle with paprika and serve!

That is one of my childhood favorites. My mom used to make for all of us!



tips: It is tasty! But some of us don't eat lentils.
Lol, lentils give real bad gas and intestinal cramp.
I put a teaspoon baking powder when the lentils are boiling, it works! ;)

2 comments:

  1. I am trying not to go to the kitchen for a snack-I suddenly have that urge after reading your soup recipe... Thanks for stopping by my site, and I will be back (hopefully to get a few new recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And me trying to find out how to get out from the kitchen :) Just kidding!
    Glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete

I' m loving to read your comments:)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin