Wednesday, September 16, 2009

roasted tomatoes

I had some very ripe tomatoes in the bowl and wanted to do something that would preserve the tomatoes for later use.

Roasted them with garlic-olive oil mixture and some spicies!


I used;
8 ripe tomatoes
8 gloves of garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
salt, pepper, dry oregano


Chop small tomatoes in half and slice larger tomatoes in thirds or quarters.
Combine the pepper, salt, thyme or oregano, minced garlic and olive oil in a large bowl.
Whisk to blend. Add the tomatoes stir to coat with the oil mixture. Put them in a 350F.
Time will vary depending on your tomatoes. (Cook them untill they've started to brown).

Mmmm..smells good!

They can be used anywhere tomatoes are usually found. Extra tomatoes into something...
Isn't it wonderful ? They make the best sauce I love. Just spoon it over some pasta, with a bit of Parmesan maybe or just blend them until the sauce is smooth and toss it with pasta. Use in the tomato soups! Even with the salads and omelettes. They freeze very well to use all winter (up to 6 months) or store in the refrigerator for 1 week.

We also loved them on toasted whole wheat bread slices for breakfast :)

15 comments:

  1. oooh, sounds yummy! my tomato plants got a disease this year. didn't get very many :o( so bummed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you just made my mouth water. I never thought of doing that! I've been trying to take advantage of summer peaches, watermelon etc., by slicing it up and freezing for winter use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree, this is one of the best things to do with tomatoes. makes them sweet like sugar. i make roasted tomato soup this way, the flavor is sooo good, you don't even need to add cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. merhaba ve ellerine saglik :) salca yerine cok saglikli bir secenek bu degil mi? ben de kirmizi biberlisini yapmistim gecen sene.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds really good! I love oregano so much. I think your suggestion of topping pasta with it is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really good. If I had just had this recipe a few weeks earlier when I had lots of fresh tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never thought of doing that but it sounds YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum!! 8 cloves of garlice. Wholly garlic. Everythings so much better with garlic. You can never have enough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum, yum, yum

    of course, I'd have to stop eating them straight out of the garden! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you posted this. I just asked my hubby what we were going to do with all the tomatoes from our garden. I don't like them raw, so this is perfect!! You ROCK once again:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh YUM! This sounds so good. I need to go check to see if we have any more tomatoes!!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the follow. Hope to see you around more =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love roasted peppers so I'm sure I'll LOVE these! So yummy and on a piece of crunchy bruchetta and mozzarella cheese...oh, heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you reposted the link for this recipe. This would be a yummy way to use some of the extra tomatoes I always have in late summer so we can enjoy them all winter.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I' m loving to read your comments:)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin