The other day, I was trying to find the exact word to express something in English.
Sometimes, when I look for the English equivalent of a Turkish word, I realize that there simply isn't a word with exactly the same meaning.
For example:
“Her heart was broken. She threw herself into her work with ambition that day.”
But the “ambition” here isn't quite passion.
Working with passion is something else. There is pleasure, satisfaction, consistency, and a sense of devotion in it. But that wasn't exactly what was happening here.
So, ambition?
Maybe. But even that doesn't quite capture it.
When you think about what happened earlier in the story, what we're really trying to find is the word that best fits the character's emotional response to what she experienced.
To me, she isn't an ambitious person.
She's principled.
Her work not being appreciated leaves her hurt, with a little anger underneath it. But she's consistent, determined, and principled enough not to give up.
She's not someone who lets her anger take over.
And this is what makes me think.
Sometimes finding the right word isn't simply about choosing the closest word in a dictionary. You have to understand the character's soul.
You can say “with a broken heart.” But you also have to look at what that broken heart makes the person do afterwards.
Because the same disappointment can make one person give up, while it can make another work even harder.
When I write, I often put myself in the character's place. That's how I try to find the right feeling, the right expression.
But being hurt doesn't motivate me.
Neither does proving someone wrong.
“Just wait and see” doesn't trigger me either.
For me, that would only mean adding stress to an already painful feeling.
When I can remain myself on my own path, and finish what I'm doing because I want to, in a way that remains within my own control, that is much more satisfying.
To keep going with consistency, passion, my own choices, and work I can stand behind.
Whatever the outcome.
To do as much as I can.
This is what working with passion looks like.
Things don't always go according to plan. But when you let yourself flow with the process, you somehow arrive at the result that feels most right to you.
What did we say?
As much as it is...
Yonca Nihal
Author
🌸🌸🌸
-Turkish-
Hırs mı, Tutku mu?
Geçen gün İngilizcesini ifade ederken, tam olarak aradığım kelimeyi bulmaya çalışıyordum.
Bazen Türkçedeki bir kelimenin karşılığını ararken, İngilizcede birebir aynı anlamı taşıyan bir kelime bulamıyorsunuz.
Mesela “Gönlü kırılmıştı. Hırsla sarıldı işine o gün.”
Buradaki “hırs”, passion değil.
Tutkuyla işine sarılmak başka bir şey. Orada bir memnuniyet, hoşnutluk, istikrar ve bağlılık var. Ama burada karakterin yaptığı şey tam olarak bu değil.
Ambition desek?
Belki… Ama o da tam karşılamıyor.
Çünkü hikâyenin öncesini düşündüğümüzde, mesele yalnızca yaptığı işe duyduğu istek değil. Karakterin yaşadığı olay karşısındaki tepkisine en yakışan kelimeyi bulmaya çalışıyoruz.
Bana göre hırslı biri değil. Prensipli biri. İşinin takdir görmemesiyle birlikte içinde bir kırgınlık, biraz da kızgınlık taşıyor. Ama vazgeçmeyecek kadar tutarlı, azimli ve ilkeli.
Yani öfkesine yenilen biri değil.
İşte çeviride beni asıl düşündüren yer burası.
Bazen bir kelimenin karşılığını bulmak, sözlükteki en yakın kelimeyi seçmekten ibaret değil. Karakterin ruhunu anlamak gerekiyor.
“With a broken heart” diyebilirsiniz. Ama o kırılmış kalbin ardından ne yaptığına da bakmanız gerekir. Çünkü aynı kırgınlık bir insanı vazgeçirebilir, bir başkasını daha çok çalıştırabilir.
Ben çeviri yaparken çoğu zaman kendimi karakterin yerine koyarım. Doğru hali yakalayabilmek için.
Beni kamçılamaz bu durum.
“Sen görürsün”ler de tetiklemez beni.
Çünkü bunlar benim için üzüntünün üzerine bir de stres eklemekten başka bir şey değil.
Kendi yolumda kendim kalabildiğimde; işimi kendi isteğimle, kendi kontrolümde tamamlamak bana çok daha tatmin edici geliyor.
İstikrarla, tutkuyla, kendi seçimlerimle, sonucuna kefil olabileceğim bir çalışmayla yola devam etmek.
Sonucu ne olursa olsun.
Elimden gelen kadarını tamamlamak.
Tutkuyla çalışmak böyle bir şey işte.
Evdeki hesap şaşabiliyor. Ama en içine sinen sonuca, kendini akışa bırakarak varıyorsun.
Ne demiştik?
Olduğu kadar...
#CreativeWriting #Passion #SelfAwareness #LifeReflections #WritingJourney #YoncaNihal
No comments:
Post a Comment
I' m loving to read your comments:)