Thursday, November 26, 2020

From My Diaries /Since April

 

None of us like 2020. The year of the disasters! I can’t say that is the worst year  for sure, World War II comes to mind first, and then I did a bit of research and learned that; Professor Michael McCormick, who is the one that had claimed 536 AD to be the worst year (due to the extreme weather events probably caused by a volcanic eruption early in the year, causing average temperatures in Europe and China to decline and resulting in crop failures and famine for well over a year.) and said this about 2020: “It has clearly been a bad year so far and we are only 2/3 of the way through.” 
December is at the corner. So, I hope, I wish and I pray for the last month to not bring any other bad event to anywhere or anyone. We already have a virus problem that kills people everyday. 

What a year...

Wild fires in Australia, airplane crashes in Iran and Pakistan, social unrest over the killing of George Floyd, the deadly explosions in Beirut, shooting down the Ukrainian airliner PS752, killing 176 people on board, violence in Delhi, a locust swarm outbreak in East Africa, earthquakes in Turkey. 177 people died here in Izmir which is the city I live. 

Aria and I stopped by D&R that day to buy new books.I always miss the smell and the sound of a new book. Suddenly, I feel like my blood pressure was getting high for a second. Because, it happens sometimes and I say” is that an earthquake? Then the books dropped on us from the shelves. We ran out the store. It was scary. We were lucky that there were no major damage or death here in Cesme, unlike the centre. Some of them were relocated to tents after the disaster. People in Izmir/city center are still trying to get back to normal.


Have you you read the book Pyramid by Tom Martin? It’s the last book I read that I grabbed from my son’s shelf. Since the subject is about the secrets of the universe it caught my attention and hunger to read it all day long.

An eminent Oxford professor is murdered. But authorities are calling it a suicide. Oxford professor Catherine Donovan finds herself chasing the truth all around the world trying to save it from certain destruction. She meets Dr. Rutherford, a classicist, and together they chase the late professor's death trail, led by gematric clues. It is an easy and enjoyable read. 

 In fact, everything was repeated all over the world. Aliens weren't coming or restarting life. It was the man who always managed to gain access to advanced technology. But selfishness would turn the earth into a cloud of dust, again.

  They are the good ones who have broken the secret of the universe and the bad ones who do not realize that they are part of the universe.



                                         A little bit of this, a little bit of that.


When he started to Kindergarden

2020


I can't believe that Aria is a college student. He is studying Applied English and Translation in Izmir University of Economics. He chose French as his third language. 

Class 2020 is unlucky. They couldn’t start this long awaited exciting life stage as they had hoped. Masks, social distance with friends and finally online education because of coronavirus. They couldn’t even have a prom. Sometimes I forget and call him;

Me: Honey, I have fresh coffee, do you want some? (Yelling to his room)
Him: Mooom, be quite! I’m in the class πŸ˜… 

Anyway, we are thankful for technology that allows him to join class online. Unfortunately, it was not the college life they all waited for. 




The class that studied for only half a term last year, the exam stress combined with a mask in the hot sunny classrooms where the air conditioners are not operated because of the virus precautions, the pandemic struggles in the education system, the curfew is for under the age of 18, the days are short when there are limited hours.







I found peace while listening to nature.





Pomegranates from our garden.














It was a windy day. But that's ok. We were out together and taking nature pics.

...and spending time in the kitchen always makes me peaceful









Olives I picked up from our garden.






Since 2020 made a bad start and insists on being a horrible year for the world, I think Halloween was one of the enjoyable days of this year. Making pumpkin pancakes and watching our jack’o lantern in the front yard was fun. Aria carved the pumpkin and made eyes and mouth very well. Success! What do you think ?
No trick or treating since we moved to Turkey.. Costume parties? Yes, it’s not common but there is! Anyway Covid-19 doesn’t allow such a thing this year anyway. So, getting in the kitchen together and making pumpkin pancakes with cinnamon & ginger topping was definitely fun, as much as eating them 😁☺️
So thankful that we all are healthy and together πŸ™










I had 4 cups of coffee while waiting for him to come out from preparatory exam across the campus πŸ˜ƒ He got 1st place with 96%!! πŸ™





The day was hard but a gift arrived at the end of that day, which was very thoughtful πŸ‘ŒπŸŽŠ



We opened the candy package first and couldn’t stop having another one 😊



Happy Thanksgiving! Hoping a better one for next year for all of us πŸ™

18 comments:

  1. That’s really great article! This year just not good for me lost friends n family. Hopefully next year will change something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, wished that no more bad events could happen this December. πŸ™

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope so πŸ™We see loss of lives all over the world. Sadness, fear and worry. . We all miss to connect each other the most.

      Delete
  3. I can imagine that being an extra stress factor having to wear a mask during exams :o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Besides, they didn't use AC because of the pandemic. It was a very sunny and hot day. 2020 has also been a hard year for all students.

      Delete
  4. I am praying that December will be the month that makes up for the last 11 months. We survived it so far so hopefully, things will get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it does! Wishing a good month, healthier and happier for all of us πŸ’š

      Delete
  5. It's been a very very difficult year for all without any exceptions. I hope next year is better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been one crazy year. But unfortunately, it looks like we still have a few months of pain to endure. Happy Thanksgiving and all the best to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family too.

      Delete
  7. 2020 is sure some year! A year that keeps you wondering what next. I pray it brings good news to our doorsteps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s true! It was like a horror movie. Praying and hoping for good news too πŸ™

      Delete
  8. Wow! I totally enjoyed reading this post. Haha, like you, I always forget that my husband now works from home πŸ™ˆ During his meetings, I call him to drink tea/eat snacks and he is like, hey WAIITTTT, I am in the meeting 😁😁And your son is very handsome and talented πŸ™‚

    Thanks,
    Everything Enchanting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, commenting and good words about me, my blog and my son. I’ll let him know your thoughts about him ☺️

      Delete
  9. What a year it has been for us all. Glad to see that you've made the best of it.

    Nathalia | NathaliaFit - Fitness & Wellness Blog

    ReplyDelete

I' m loving to read your comments:)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin