Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Homemade Sauerkraut Recipe/ Step by Step





Homemade sauerkraut is one of the easiest and least expensive options to add probiotics to our diet. Plus, I just noticed that making sauerkraut is a great arm workout. πŸ˜πŸ‘ Have you ever had the experience of making your own sauerkraut yet? All you need is cabbage, salt and a jar. I used sea salt. That’s all!
Basically, massaging shredded cabbage with salt (~10 minutes) The salt pulls the water out of it. Keeping it submerged under the liquid in an oxygen free environment without killing the Lactobacillus. The lactic acid fermentation allows the good bacteria to stay.
Perfect for layering into a sandwich. Delicious, benefitful and crunchy.





Ingredients:

1 head of cabbage 
2 tbsp sea-salt 
Spring water (just a little if needed)

*Start with really clean tools and knead the cabbage with clean hands.
*Discard the wilted, limp, outer leaves of the cabbage. (Save one or two leaves for later)
* Shred the cabbage and transfer it to a large bowl.
* Add salt and knead, squeeze with your hands very well.
* Transfer to a jar ( two-quart)
* Press and make sure there is no air in the shredded cabbage.
* Be sure that the cabbage stays submerged in liquid.
* Add spring water if needed.
* Use the reserved leaves to cover and press down the shredded cabbage.
* Cover the jar with a clean cloth and use a rubber band to secure it.
* Letting the cabbage ferment at room temperature (for beneficial bacteria to grow)
* Keep the jar in a cool and dark place for the best result.
* Over the next 24 hours, press the cabbage every few hours ( I use a jam jar filled with rocks) or use a wooden spoon.
* Store the jar for 3-10 days. Make sure that the liquid level is high enough after 24 hours. If you need to add water, dissolve one teaspoon salt in a cup of  water. The kraut will continue to ferment and became tastier after.

*If you see a layer of mold on the outer leaves, don’t worry, simply discard it. Your sauerkraut is still ok. Unless it smells off.
* When you see bubbles, foam and white scum on the surface of your sauerkraut is normal, a sign of healthy fermentation. πŸ‘
* Start tasting it after 3 days. If you think the taste is good, refrigerate it. You can eat it every stage of the process.



The sauerkraut will last for months in the fridge. So, let’s make a big batch next time 😁 

26 comments:

  1. I didn't even know that was something that you could make at home! I know my husband is going to love this when I make it for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate!
      Making your own sauerkraut is inexpensive and really easy. You’ll make it again and again πŸ–

      Delete
  2. I never knew it was so easy to make homemade sauerkraut! Such a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen,
      A food processor speeds up this process. But I enjoy slicing cabbage thinly πŸ™‚

      Delete
  3. I love learning new recipes and this one is no exception. My boys love experimenting too with food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying new and easy recipes with family members is so much fun πŸ™‚ Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. Oh so thats how sauerkraut is made. I love cabbage so its just a fermented way of making cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s true..traditional, homemade sauerkraut using only cabbage and salt!

      Delete
  5. I am not a fan of sauerkraut at all, but my stepdad loves it! He would be shocked if I made it for him next time he visits! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be surprised by how easy it is to make your own, in your kitchen πŸ™‚ Enjoy!

      Delete
  6. Probiotics are so important to our health! I love this idea of home-made sauerkraut and how it can last for months. Will definitely have to try out this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sondra!
      Glad you like it. Making homemade sauerkraut is one of the easiest ways to get probiotics.

      Delete
  7. My neighbor makes sauerkraut every year and brings us several jars. It tastes so much better than anything you can buy in the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice! You have a good neighbor πŸ‘ Store bought sauerkraut is pasteurized, and the heat is what kills the probiotics.

      Delete
  8. I love cooking at home and sauerkraut is one thing I haven't been able to master. Glad to read this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I ‘m so glad to hear it! Happy cooking and a happy weekend!

      Delete
  9. Angela Ricardo BetheaMarch 23, 2018 at 1:09 AM

    Wow!! This looks interesting recipe to try. I will definitely give this a try. My mom would love this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela!
      Who doesn’t like sauerkraut, right?
      Hope you and your mom have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  10. This homemade sauerkraut recipe is definitely a must try. Glad you shared this recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad it helped Candy!
      Enjoy making your own sauerkraut!

      Delete
  11. Firstly I thought it was so hard to make sauerkraut...now I will at least try by instructions provided by you. Hope I would make it which taste good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as the cabbage stays submerged in liquid and you keep it at room tempature, you can make it! ❤️

      Delete
  12. I agree with your recipe, my Mom is also a fan of this.Cabbages are great source of nutrients plus this veggie is mostly composed of water. We usually add red bell pepper, and some sliced ginger to give more extra aroma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s right! Adding red bell pepper and sliced ginger is a great idea. They both add more aroma and make sauerkraut tastier for sure. Also shredded carrot is another option. I also mix with red cabbage.

      Delete
  13. I always make this stuff with red ginger to add more flavor and spice, it really taste good. My apptizer and side dish in every meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! Even better! Sauerkraut is one of our favorite side dishes too. It is the only way my son eats cabbage.

      Delete

I' m loving to read your comments:)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin